Did you see these patterns in the data?
- Air temperatures rise shortly after sunrise, reach their peak late afternoon, and then cool down as the sun sets.
- The air above the water does not vary as much as the air over land, because the steady water temperature moderates it.
- On cloudy days, the temperature does not rise as much.
- On clear nights, the temperature falls more.
Comparing land and water temperatures:
- Water temperatures do not vary much during the day.
- Weather systems can change these temperatures dramatically, as a cold or warm air mass spreads over the region.
- In summer, the water will rise to about 80 degrees F.
- In winter, the water will fall to about 40 degrees F.